It’s cold, it’s dark, it’s probably raining and you’re probably drowning in exam revision. But don’t despair, because here are 22 everyday things to bring a smile back to your face.
See, life isn’t so bad.
1. Getting something with handwriting on in the post.
Yes, technology is great. Thanks to technology, we can have conversations with people on the other side of the world, or send messages that arrive instantly. But what about good ol’ fashioned post? The sheer novelty of receiving a handwritten letter in the post - definitely something to be appreciated.
2. The smell of frying onions
If delicious could be defined in a smell, this would be it. They may make you cry during the preparation stages, but the smell once they are cooking makes it all worthwhile.
3. Picking scabs
A little gross perhaps, but oh so satisfying. Maybe it’s the fact that it was forbidden when you were a child, or maybe just because it feels good to pick them off and reveal the newly formed shiny pink skin beneath. Either way - amazing.
4. The smell of rain on hot earth
It’s humid, it’s sticky. And then it rains. The earth seems refreshed, and the soil-like, earthy smell that follows embodies this perfectly.
5. The first scoop out of a jar of peanut butter
It seems perfect, flawless. And then you dunk your spoon in and all hell breaks loose.
6. Snow days at school
Listening out for your school on the radio announcements, digging out hats and scarves you haven’t worn in months and making the most of your unexpected freedom. Plus everything looks like the inside of a snow globe.
7. Finally getting the eyelash out of your eye
It rebelliously strayed in there and has been bothering you for hours. Then finally it works its way out. Utter bliss.
8. When you’re about to fall asleep and someone puts a blanket on you
You’re just drifting off. The real world is getting fuzzier and your subconscious mind is just starting to conjure up a fantastical dream world. The only thing slightly wrong is that you’re a bit chilly. Then someone notices your predicament and spreads a blanket over you, enveloping you in a cosy cocoon of loveliness.
9. Hanging your head out of the car window
Even better if accompanied by high speeds and a loud rock song. Also works well with a sunroof.
10. Getting served breakfast in bed
Everyone loves food. Everyone loves being in bed. Therefore everyone loves being waken up with food in bed. Just lovely.
11. Using all the different shampoos and soaps in someone else’s shower
The novelty of experimenting with different brands of shampoos and shower gels with different smells that you would never normally buy or try. Even better if they are unaware you are trying them.
12. When you manage to squeeze enough toothpaste out for one last brush
It’s a battle between you and that rolled-up, tired out, overused tube. And you won.
13. Wearing clothes that have just come out of the tumble dryer
So warm, so soft and so clean.
14. Finding money in your old coat pocket
Winter comes around again, and it’s time to get your winter coat out. But what’s this!? Past-you left a gift for present-you in the form of money! Excellent.
15. The first shower you take after not showering for a really long time
Maybe you’ve been travelling, maybe you’ve been at a festival, maybe you just aren’t that hygienic. Either way, that moment when you step under the stream of warm water and you are once again clean - amazing.
16. Sneezing three or more times in a row
The refreshing feeling and unparalleled sense of relief after the almost unbearably tickly build-up is just exquisite.
17. Using rock-paper-scissors to settle everything
Forget discussing things like grown-ups. Sometimes other methods are required. Rock-paper-scissors is guaranteed to solve every single problem you encounter in your lifetime.
18. The smell of petrol
It’s bad for you, yes. But it smells so damn good.
19. Eating things past their expiry date and not getting sick
It’s a gamble. You take your chances and hope for the best...and it pays off.
20. The smell of old books
A phenomenon that cannot be explained, but which is highly enjoyable. Musty goodness.
21. Stretching your legs after a really long car ride
You’ve waited for hours and now here is your chance. So satisfying.
22. Finally remembering where you recognise someone from after staring at them for ages
It’s been bothering you for hours. You know you’ve seen them somewhere before....are they in a class with you? Did you meet them whilst drunk? Then finally...you work it out.